Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles
In Mole Valley, there are two different types of licensed vehicle in operation.
Taxis (or hackney carriages)
- can be hired on the street or at taxi ranks
- display a roof sign that says 'TAXI' or 'For Hire'
- do not need to be pre-booked over the phone
- have a yellow licence plate on the rear bumper of the vehicle
- have a smaller yellow plate inside the vehicle on display
Private hire vehicles
- are not permitted to have a roof sign that displays 'TAXI' or 'FOR HIRE'
- bookings made through a licensed operator
- display a red licence plate on the rear bumper
- fares agreed in advance and relayed to the driver who picks you up
- must be pre-booked before they can be used
Applying for a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence
To apply for a drivers licence you will need to come into our Pippbrook offices in Dorking and request a 'Drivers Pack'. The pack costs £10, but this will be taken off the full application fee if going ahead with the application.
You will also need to to license the vehicle, application forms are available from our Pippbrook offices. If you are licensing a Hackney Carriage for the first time it will need to be wheelchair accessible, a Private Hire vehicle does not need to be wheelchair accessible for licensing.
Any new licensed vehicle will need to be six years old or younger.
Full information can be obtained from calling 01306 879351 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The published Tariff (see 'Downloads') is the current charge for all taxi journeys. This has remained the same since 19 May 2014.