A hate crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice.
Any crime can be motivated by hate and there does not need to be any evidence that the offender was motivated by prejudice or hostility.
Examples might include:
- racist graffiti sprayed onto your home
- a gay male being assaulted due to his sexuality
- a disabled person having abusive comments shouted at them whilst out shopping
- a Muslim family receiving threats via social media
- a Transgender member of staff receiving constant insults and abuse from customers
Visit Surrey Community Safety for advice on reporting and support, or visit Stop Hate UK who provide independent, confidential and accessible reporting and support for victims, witnesses and third parties.