Young Mole Valley Stars Shine at Spectacular Youth Awards
The outstanding achievements of young people who either live or go to school in the district were celebrated at the prestigious Mole Valley Youth Awards held on Friday 22 March at Dorking Halls.
The annual red carpet awards ceremony, now in its 15th year, is organised by Mole Valley's youth council, Youth Voice, and supported by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC). Nominees, parents, guardians and performers filled the Grand Hall at the theatre in Dorking on what was a glamorous and celebratory evening. Everyone in attendance enjoyed not only the award presentations themselves, but were captivated by a variety of talented performances from local schools and groups throughout*.
The responsibility of selecting winners in each of the eight categories from the nominations received fell to the Youth Councillors. A surprise award was also given out for Outstanding Services to Young People on the night. Many of the deserving nominees attended the event, with no one but the organisers aware who had won. The following winners were announced on the night:
• Drama Award: Brooke Davis
• Outstanding Achievement Award: Jack Berners
• Outstanding Services to Young People: Nik Ward
• Sporting Achievement Award: Jessica Barnor
• Young Chef Award: Dylan Lamb
• Young Dancer Award: Thea Shires
• Young Musician Award: Kate Flanders
• Young Team Award: The Humanitarian Society
• Young Volunteer Award: Jamie McLeod-Smith
Each year, the youth councillors select a local charity, and run a collection for their good cause. This year's charity was Dorking's The Amber Foundation, who offer a fresh start to homeless young people for 24 years. To donate, please visit amberweb.org.
Mole Valley Youth Voice is always on the look-out for new Youth Councillors to join and help work towards improving young people's lives in the local area. If you are aged between 11 and 18 years old and would be interested to join the Youth Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rebecca Cleary, Leader of Youth Voice and host of this year's Mole Valley Youth Awards, said: "Our Youth Awards give us the opportunity to publicly recognise and showcase the amazing achievements of young people from across our district. It is so rewarding to be able to see the hard work and accomplishments of these young achievers being celebrated on this fantastic evening. I thoroughly enjoyed hosting the event this year and I am already looking forward to next year's Youth Awards!"
- *Music performed by Ashcombe's Little Big Band; The Ashcombe School
- Music performance by Gymnastic / Steel Band; The Priory School
- Drama performance by Applause Youth Theatre
- Music performance by Therfield School Choir
- Dance performance by Desire 2 Dance
- Music performance by 'Mezzo'; The Ashcombe School
- Music performance by The Fine Line; The Priory Schoo