Trees in Conservation Areas

If you wish to carry out works on a tree larger than a specific size in a Conservation Area, you must give Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) six weeks' notice before starting.

This period of time allows MVDC the opportunity to consider whether the tree(s) should be protected by making a Tree Preservation Order. You must give MVDC notice if the tree trunk is more than 75mm in diameter (or 100mm if the works are being carried out to improve the growth of other trees), as measured at chest height (1.5m) above any basal flare or stem taper and below any branch union swells.

Maps of conservation areas in the district are available either by visiting the Conservation Area Maps page (see 'Related Pages') or by using 'My Mole Valley' (see 'Internet Links').

Before commencing work on any tree, it is strongly recommended that you check the status with the planning department by emailing full details, including the site location and a description of the work you wish to carry out to

If you need to submit an application to carry out works on a tree in a Conservation Area, you can make an electronic application via the Planning Portal website (see 'Internet Links'). Alternatively, you can download an Application for Tree Works form (see 'Internet Links'). When complete, email it as an attachment to or send it to Planning Department, MVDC, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SJ. Guidance is also available to help filling in the form and providing any required documentary evidence (see 'Internet Links'). No fee is payable when applying for work on trees.

For more information

Please call 01306 885001 or email

Last Updated: 16/10/2019

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve

Use our online services to report, apply or pay.