Residential Caravan, Mobile, or Park Home Licence.

Who needs a residential caravan site licence and how to apply.

The information on this page applies to:

•    residential caravan sites
•    sites where there may be a mixture of permanent residential and temporary holiday pitches.

Note: If you are enquiring about a licence for holiday and touring caravan sites, or for camping, please email Environmental Health

If you wish to place a caravan(s) on land for residential purposes, then in most cases you will need to apply for a caravan site licence. If there is already a licence holder for the site, they will need to transfer the licence to you when they transfer the land.

You will also need planning permission for a residential site before you apply for a licence.


Some sites do not need a licence, for instance:

•    agricultural and forestry workers
•    building and engineering sites
•    gypsy sites managed by county councils 
•    sites managed by the licensing authority
•    use within curtilage of a house (if in connection with the house)

Please note that even if a caravan is exempt from requiring a licence, stationing a caravan on land may still need planning permission, please contact MVDC's Planning team at to check.

Apply for a Licence

Please complete one of our application forms to:

•    apply for a residential caravan site licence,
•    transfer one to a new owner or leaseholder, or
•    alter the conditions attached to a current licence

To apply for a residential caravan site licence, or to transfer a licence, please email Environmental Health for an application form.

When you send in your completed application, you will also be required to provide a site plan of a minimum scale of 1:500 showing structures, features, services and facilities. 

Please send your completed form by post, or send an electronic scan to Environmental Health

What happens next?

Once we receive the application and all the information requested, we will discuss the licence process with you. We will then inspect the site, and may consult with the fire service. Following the inspection, we will send you an invoice for the application fee, based on the number of units on the site when we inspected.

We normally make a decision within eight weeks of receiving a complete application (including all the supporting details, documents and the payment). However, some applications may take longer and we will discuss this with you if this is the case.

Before issuing a new licence, we will usually consult with you by sending you the proposed licence conditions. We allow a minimum of 14 days for you to comment before we issue the final licence.

You have the right to appeal to a First Tier Tribunal if you disagree with:

•    a decision to refuse a licence application or a transfer application
•    any conditions appended to a new application
•    a decision to refuse to alter a condition
•    a decision taken by the council to alter any existing condition of the licence

Please note; when a licence is transferred, the site licence conditions will remain unchanged.

Failure to meet the standards set out in the licence conditions could result in us serving a Compliance Notice. This is the first step in taking formal action to improve standards to meet the requirements of the licence conditions.

Fees and charges

Fees and charges are made for:

•    an application for a new licence
•    an application to transfer the licence where ownership changes
•    an annual fee for site inspection 
•    a fee for depositing site rules

More information about our current fees and how they are calculated can be found here Fee Table & Policy. The licence fees will be reviewed annually, so could change.

Licence conditions

When we issue a licence there will be conditions attached. Conditions mainly cover health and safety areas such as:

•    spacing
•    fire safety
•    parking
•    roads
•    supply and storage of gas
•    electrical installations

Other considerations

We also have to consider the licence holders ability to manage and maintain the site.

Site licences are normally not time limited. However, where temporary planning permission is granted the licence will also be time limited.

There will need to be a new application to transfer the licence if the site is sold to a new owner.

A Variation to the licence will need to be made if there are changes such as additional pitches.

Caravan sites - Fit and proper person

The Mobile Homes (Requirements for Manager of Site to Fit and Proper) (England) Regulations 2020 will be brought in in two stages.

Stage 1 gives local authorities in England until 1 July 2021 to:

•    prepare to receive applications from site owners (or “occupiers")
•    establish their processes for making and issuing decisions
•    establish a fit and proper person register for their local area

We are currently making all necessary preparations to achieve the above.

Stage 2 will provide three months from the end of stage one for site owners/licence holders to submit completed applications to local authorities. The deadline for applications is 1 October 2021.

The Government will also publish non-statutory guidance for both local authorities and site owners. We will provide a link to this when it is released.

What does this mean for site owners?

From 1 October 2021, unless the site is exempt, the site owner must:

•    be a fit and proper person to lawfully operate a park home site, or
•    have a fit and proper site manager in place

What must a site owner do?

Site owners operating a relevant protected site must apply (after 1 July 2021) to us for the relevant person (themselves or their appointed manager) to be included in the local register of fit and proper persons to manage a site.

A site owner may only apply if they hold or have applied for a site licence for the site.

Exempt sites

A site is exempt if it's “a non-commercial family occupied site”. This is one:

•    only occupied by members of the same family, and
•    not being run on a commercial basis 

The regulations provide further detail about this exemption. See the GOV.UK - legislation website for more details.

What we need to consider

To be happy that the relevant person is a fit and proper person to manage the site, and to add them to the register, we will consider:

•    past compliance with the site licence
•    the long term maintenance of the site
•    whether the relevant person has sufficient level of competence to manage the site
•    the management structure and funding arrangements for the site or proposed management structure and funding arrangements

We will also consider whether the relevant person:

•    has the right to work within the UK
•    has committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, violence, arson or drugs or listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (offences attracting notification requirements)
•    has contravened any provision of the law relating to housing, caravan sites, mobile homes, public health, planning or environmental health or of landlord and tenant law
•    has contravened any provision of the Equality Act 2010 in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
•    has harassed any person in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
•    has had an application rejected by any other local authority
•    is, or has been within the past 10 years, personally insolvent
•    is, or has been within the last 10 years, disqualified from acting as a company director

We also may consider the conduct of any person associated or formerly associated with the relevant person (whether on a personal, work or other basis), if it appears that person’s conduct is relevant.

We can also consider any evidence on any other relevant matters.

Application cost for Fit and Proper Person Assessment

We will make a charge for the processing of applications to cover our costs. This charge will be in line with government guidance and will be confirmed before 1 July 2021.

Register of residential caravan, mobile or park home sites

We are required to publish a list of all licensed multi-caravan sites. 

Site rules

The site owner may set site rules on residential caravan sites. The site rules are part of the contract between the homeowner and site owner, and supplement the Mobile Homes Act Agreement. The Council does not enforce these rules, but we are required to publish site rules for licensed sites where these are sent to us. You can find these below.
Please add links to any site rules here, they are already linked to the existing web page