Winter conditions can be seriously bad for our health, especially for older people, and those with long-term conditions. Find out how you can keep yourself and your family well this winter.
- Heat your home to at least 18 degrees centigrade (65 degrees fahrenheit)
- Keep active even when indoors
- Wear several layers of clothes and a hat
- Find out about financial help that may be available to help with paying for your heating - visit your Citizens Advice or call ActionSurrey for up to date grant information on 0800 783 2503
- Draw your curtains and shut doors to help keep the heat in.
- Fit draught proofing and insulate your loft, your hot water cylinder and pipes
- Have your flu jab
- Eat well - eat five portions of fruit and veg every day
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Catch germs in a tissue and wash your hands regularly
- Be active. Try one of our Walks for Health, visit your local Leisure Centre or a social centre
- Look out for vulnerable friends and neighbours
- Get help early - talk to your pharmacist
- For medical non-emergencies, call 111
Be Prepared and Safe
- Fill prescriptions in good time
- Plan ahead for Bank Holidays and Christmas closures
- Stock your medicine cabinet with your usual cold and flu remedies
- Put together an emergency kit bag
- Sign up for flood warnings: www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings and consider making a flood plan if your home is at risk (see below for a handy template).
- Look out for your neighbours
- Stay up-to-date with weather reports from the Met Office: www.metoffice.gov.uk or listen to BBC Surrey (104.6FM) or Eagle Radio (96.4FM)
- For vulnerable residents - join your utility provider's Priority Services Register.
- For those with mobility or sight problems, or if you use a dialysis machine at home, join Thames Water's Special Assistance Register on www.thameswater.co.uk
- Call Surrey Fire and Rescue for a free Home Fire Safety visit on 0800 085 0767 or visit www.surreycc.gov.uk
For more information visit Healthy Surrey or you can log on to Twitter and look for #SurreyWinterWellness