Business Food Registration

Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) is responsible for some aspects of food safety in the district, while other food related matters are looked after by the Food Standards Agency.

Food Business Registration

You are required by law (Article (6) of EC Regulation 852/2004) to register any premise used to prepare, store, transport or sell food. This scheme allows local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those food businesses in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of food business.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business, you must tell the local authority about any premises you use for preparing, storing, selling or distributing food. Food businesses could be, restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses (bed and breakfasts), food delivery vehicles, market and other stalls, mobile catering and ice cream vans etc.

Food organisations that donate food such as charities and homeless shelters and people who produce food in their home for members of the public; jam making, cake baking etc. will also need to be registered.


Certain types of food activity do not need to register, for example;

  • infrequent activities, such as one off events
  • if you make foods for your friends and family
  • Village halls with kitchens only let out for use by members of the public
  • places where the main activity is not to do with food. For example, hairdressers providing tea and biscuits
  • places where food is only sold through vending machines

If you have any questions please contact the Food Safety team for further information.

Mobile Food Traders

A mobile food trader is someone who trades from a self contained movable unit (e.g. burger van, ice cream van, stall,etc). A mobile trader may trade from one or multiple locations and the unit may be left in one trading location for a number of consecutive days before being moved.

You must register your mobile food business with the local authority in which you store your mobile unit.

If you are planning on selling food in a street you must apply for street trading consent. If you plan to trade on the highway you should first contact the Highways department.

What is registration?

Registration is not a 'licence' and does not indicate compliance with food safety law.

What information will I need to register?

  • the name and contact details of the Food Business Operator
  • the name of your Primary or Home Authority, if you have one
  • details about the nature and scope of your business.  It is very important that you provide as much information as possible so we can understand your business
  • the date you plan to start trading
  • the type of water supply you have, if you have a spring, well or borehole etc
  • planned opening time (commercial premises only)

Mobile food traders will need to provide details about where and how they plan to trade.

How do I register?

You can register by completing the online food business registration form - please visit GOV.UK. Please complete all the boxes that apply to your business and give as much information as possible. If you do not provide enough details your registration may be delayed while we obtained further information from you.

If you require a paper version, please contact the Food Safety team.

Registration cannot be refused.

Is there a fee?

There is no charge for registration.

Registering multiple businesses

If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Public Register

The information provided on the registration form will be entered on the public register. The register of addresses and the type of food business is available to the public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available but will be used by the food and safety team when carrying out visits and to assist in providing specific advice and guidance for different types of food businesses.


Once you have registered you will only need to notify the council if there has been a change of food business operator, the nature of the business changes, if the business moves address or a vehicle is stored at a different address. To notify us of a change you should complete a new application form.


If you intend to make, prepare or handle food of animal origin (e.g. meat, fish or dairy) for supply to other businesses, then the food business and its activities in most circumstances will require what is known as approval. Further information on the approved premises process can be found on our Food Premises Approval page.

Counter Fraud

MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end, may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes (see Data Matching Level 2 Notice for more details).