Apply for a Home

The Housing Register is a list of the people who would like to be housed in social accommodation.

Who can currently join the housing register

Anyone above the age of 16 and from the Common Travel Area, which consists of the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland, can join Mole Valley District Council's (MVDC) Housing Register, but there are a few exceptions, including:

  • people from abroad who are subject to immigration control

Qualifying applicants aged 16 and 17 will be subject to a joint assessment between the Housing Team and Children's Services before being made any offer of accommodation. Additionally, a guarantor for the tenancy will need to be identified.

MVDC also accepts applications from members of the European Union and A8 Accession States, as long as they meet the eligibility conditions. 

Housing Register change

In 2014, MVDC asked you who should be able to join the housing register and, listening to those results, MVDC changed who can join. People will no longer be able to either remain on or join the housing register if they:

  • have no local connection to Mole Valley
  • have no housing need 
  • own their home, except those who are over 55
  • have a gross income over £50,000 per year or savings over £16,000 
  • have outstanding housing debts 
  • are guilty of unacceptable behaviour 

From 1 June 2015, applicants who are Council or housing association tenants and do not live in Mole Valley may qualify to join the register if they work or have a job offer in the area and would suffer hardship if they remained in their current home. This is called the Right to Move.

Please see 'Downloads' to view the current allocations scheme.

How do I apply?

You can apply to join the Housing Register by accessing the HomeChoice ' Internet link' and following the guidance to register. You can  update your existing application from this site, at any time. There is also an e-mail facility which you should use to contact us about your Housing Register application.

However, if you still require further advice or assistance, you can contact the Housing Options team on 01306 885001 or you can arrange a personal interview at the MVDC's offices at Pippbrook in Dorking.

What types of properties I am eligible for?

Details of the vacancies you will be eligible for can also be found on the allocations scheme document on the 'Home Choice' website (see 'Internet Links'). This is also where you can view and apply for properties, as well as apply online to join the Housing Register.