Empty Homes

How to report an empty home and how Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) can help bring an empty home back into use.

Bringing properties back into use can improve the whole community, especially when housing is in such short supply.

Reporting an Empty Home

It is estimated the cost of leaving a home empty can be as high as over £13,000 a year after taking into account lost rent, taxes, insurance and deterioration of the property value. Did you know that if a property has been lying empty and unfurnished for over two years, a 150% council tax may be charged? 

Empty homes can be easy targets for crime, vandalism, squatters and general anti-social behaviour. The potential consequences of such actions can become very expensive for the owners, who are already missing out on the potential income from renting or selling that property.

Whether it is your own home or you are aware of an empty property which could be brought back into use, you can report it by emailing housing@molevalley.gov.uk

Bringing Your Empty Home Back Into Use

MVDC can help you. Options available include:

  • advice and assistance
  • let the property direct to a tenant
  • let the property through the Council's Rent Deposit Bond scheme
  • let the property through a private letting agent
  • repair/convert the property for occupation
  • sell the property at auction
  • sell the property on the open market

For advice on these options, see 'Downloads'. MVDC can offer free advice and information on tenancies and housing issues to both landlords and tenants. For more information, please call 01306 885001.

Enforcement Action

Where all other options have been exhausted, MVDC will consider the legal powers available to bring an empty home back into use by force. However, MVDC will work with owners of empty homes to discuss options, assist and support them to take necessary action before reaching this stage.