Rent or Mortgage Problems

If you are threatened with repossession or are having difficulty meeting your rent or mortgage payments and are worried about losing your home, there are various websites that offer advice and information (see 'Internet Links').

Before deciding to give up your housing tenancy or sell your home, try to keep making as much rent/ mortgage payments as possible whilst looking at the other options available.

Residents of Mole Valley who have mortgage payment concerns, can also contact a number of local organisations that could help:

  • Dorking Citizens Advice: Lyons Court, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1AB. Please call the advice line on: 03 444 111 444 (Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm) Email for information 
  • Leatherhead Citizens Advice, The Georgian House, Swan Mews, High Street, Leatherhead, KT22 8AE. Please call the advice line on: 03 444 111 444 (Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm)  Email for information
  • Mole Valley District Council's (MVDC) Housing Options team is available to anyone who has received a threat of repossession for mortgage arrears. MVDC has a legal responsibility to provide free advice on housing options and apply the homelessness legislation where someone meets the criteria. You can contact us on 01306 885001. If you need to come in and see us, appointments are available from 9am to 12noon and 2pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday
  • Shelter's mortgage debt advice service. Please call the National Advice line on 0808 800 4444

You can also get free, unbiased and independent money advice from the Money Advice Service, call them on 0300 500 5000.

Support for Mortgage Interest Scheme

Support for Mortgage Interest can provide short term support through the benefits system for owner-occupiers who are Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance and Pension Credit and who are experiencing problems with the interest payments on their mortgage.

Owner-occupiers who are on benefits and who are having trouble paying their mortgage should contact their local Jobcentre Plus office, Pensions Service, or visit their local advice centre.

Assessing your income and expenditure

If you need to list your income and expenditure, you may wish to download the budget sheet provided (see 'Downloads').