Apply for the test and trace self-isolation payment

If you are on a low income and can’t work from home while you have to self-isolate, you may be entitled to a payment of £500 under the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme.

You may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period if:

  • You have been asked by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate as a positive Covid case
  • You have been identified as a close contact by the NHS Test and Trace and are not exempt from self isolating as you are fully vaccinated

This scheme will run until 31 March 2022. Claims can be made at any time over a 42 day period starting from the date you were first advised to isolate.

Information for Parents / Guardians

If you are you the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate , and are unable to work due to caring for your child, you may be able to claim for a parent/guardian self-isolation payment if:

  • the child you care for is aged 15 or under (or is aged 25 or under and has additional support requirements) and has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, or via their education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a recent contact of someone who has tested positive and
  • you satisfy the other eligibility requirements of the scheme (see below)

From 16 August 2021, anyone under 18 who is a contact will be exempt from self-isolation. This will mean that most parents and guardians will be ineligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment if their child is identified as a contact but will still be eligible to claim if their child has tested positive and they need to stay at home to look after them.

Who is eligible?

People who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate or are a parent/guardian of a child required to self-isolate, will be entitled to a self-isolation payment providing they:

  • Comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
  • Are employed or self-employed
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • Are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit

Discretionary payments

You may be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you meet all the other eligibility criteria above, but:

  • You do not currently receive one of the benefits listed above; and
  • Your usual basic pay is not less than £100 and not higher than £500 per week
  • You do not hold savings of more than £6000
  • You will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating or staying at home to care for a child who is self-isolating

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after traveling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period)
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • Meet the criteria but do not live at an address in the Mole Valley area. You will need to apply to the council where you normally live.
  • You pay a mortgage or rent from a private landlord (if you pay rent to your parents or other family member you will not be viewed as renting from a private landlord and will not be entitled to a discretionary grant).

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

Yes. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace. 

How can someone claim if they don’t have internet access and friends/family are unable to help?

You can contact the Benefits team by calling 01306 879187 Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm. You will be offered a callback from an officer who will make the online application on your behalf. Please see below for details of the information you will need to have to hand when you receive the callback. You will need to supply supporting documents before your claim is processed.

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • A copy of your latest bank statement (issued within the last two months which clearly shows proof of earnings); a bank statement will need to be provided to confirm which account the support payment should be paid into
  • Wage slips or proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a unique ID number)
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • For parent/guardian grant applications, evidence of your child’s notification by Test and Trace or from the educational establishment that they should self isolate.

In order to validate your bank account details, we need to share relevant information you've given us with TransUnion. This will be used to ensure your support payment is paid to the correct bank account and to help prevent fraudulent use of support payments. This is not a credit check and won't impact your credit rating. For more information on how TransUnion may use your data, please visit

If you are applying as a parent or guardian, you should complete the application with your details. You will be prompted to add information about your child where necessary.


Apply for Test and Trace Support Payments


How you will receive payment

Successful claims will be paid via BACS into the bank account provided on the application. Our intention is to make the payment within 3 working days of our decision. The payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment, we will inform Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of the payment. 

Please note we are unable to make payment to any other account or by any other method.  If the account is overdrawn and you are concerned that the payment will be used to reduce the overdraft, you should contact your bank directly to protect this payment. This is called a first right of appropriation of funds order. Further information is available here

What am I required to do?

If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace. 

Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those

NHS Test and Trace website


You may face prosecution if you knowingly provide information or evidence that is incorrect, incomplete or false.  

You must also notify us straight away if anything you tell us has changed, such as you do not suffer a loss in your income.  

You are also required to self-isolate for the required period, failure to do so puts others at risk   

Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) will conduct necessary checks before and after payment to ensure applications are correct. If we subsequently find out that you have failed in these duties you may face prosecution or other legal action, and will be required to repay the funds you have received from this scheme. 

Please specifically note that this authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end will conduct a data matching exercise where we cross reference information provided within your application against other information we hold about you, principally on our council tax and benefits records.  In the event of fraudulent claims, the information provided within your application may be used to identify, prevent, detect and prosecute fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Data Sharing

The information you submit here will be processed by MVDC. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.

If you are applying for a parent/guardian payment, the information you provide about your child will be checked with your child’s education or care setting.

You can find more information on our Privacy Notice and NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice

We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, and with your employer.  We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the Council for any other purpose.

We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.

If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent, you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.

In submitting an application you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this declaration for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.  

Further information is available here