If, from 28 September 2020 onwards, you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or because you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.
If you are eligible you will receive a £500 self isolating support payment.
This scheme will initially run until 31 January 2021. Any claims need to be made within 14 days of the end of the self isolation period.
Who is eligible?
People who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a self-isolation payment providing they:
- Comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
- Are employed or self-employed
- Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
- Are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit
Who is not eligible?
You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:
- Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period)
- Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
- Can work from home during a period of self-isolation
- Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
- Meet the criteria but do not live at an address in the Mole Valley area. You will need to apply to the council where you normally live.
Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?
You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
How can someone claim if they don’t have internet access and friends/family are unable to help?
You can contact the council’s benefits section on 01306 879187 from Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5pm. You will be offered a callback by an officer who will make the online application on your behalf. Please see below for details of the information you will need to have to hand when you receive the callback. You will need to supply supporting documents before your claim is processed.
Before you start
You will need the following information to complete this form:
- A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings); a bank statement will need to be provided to confirm which account the support payment should be paid into
- Proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
- Notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a unique ID number)
- Your National Insurance Number
How you will receive payment
Successful claims will be paid via BACS into the bank account provided on the application. Our intention is to make the payment within 3 working days of this decision. The payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment, we will inform Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of the payment.
Payments will be made to the bank account that you have declared. We are unable to make payment to any other account or by any other method. If the account is overdrawn and you are concerned that the payment will be used to reduce the overdraft, you should contact your bank directly to protect this payment. This is called first right of appropriation of funds order. Further information is available here
What am I required to do?
If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.
Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those
- testing positive and
- those who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and has now been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
You may face prosecution if you knowingly provide information or evidence that is incorrect, incomplete or false.
You must also notify us straight away if anything you tell us has changed, such as you do not suffer a loss in your income.
You are also required to self isolate for the required period, failure to do so puts others at risk
The Council will conduct necessary checks before and after payment to ensure applications are correct .If the council subsequently finds out that you have failed in these duties you may face prosecution or other legal action, and will be required to repay the funds you have received from this scheme.
The information you submit here will be processed by Mole Valley District Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.
We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, and with your employer. We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the Council for any other purpose.
We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.
We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.
If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent, you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data Protection Officer.
If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.
In submitting an application you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this declaration for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.
Further information is available here